Monday, March 2, 2009

I walked into the Puggles room for more juice and Timothy walked right out. I tried to talk him into going back in but he wasn't having it.


He is the last and I am a sucker for those big brown eyes so I gave in and he became an honorary Cubbie for the night. He did so well. He sat at the table with the big kids and he hung out during game time. And really you should have seen his little eyes light up when Ms. Nancy came by to ask who was on track. All of my kids hands waved in the air to proclaim how well they have done and Timbo was right there to get a ring pop too.


Brendon repeatedly asked where his ring pop was while Timothy ran around the room with his package dangling from his mouth.


At last AWANA's is over and the boys are ready to get in the car for the candy. As I gather all our many belonging I ask Kati if she was on track, knowing she would say yes and tell what prize she got.


Her head dropped, her eyes becoming overcast with tears.

"What happened?"

"They said I wasn't on track"


I told her I knew she was doing a good job and it was alright. After she was distracted I found her club secretary. I knew that she had to be on track because she has almost finished her book and AWANA isn't over until mid-May. There was no way she couldn't be on track. Ms. Pam let me know that the child has to complete six verses in a month, which is fine even though I don't agree with it, but no one told me as a parent. No note was ever sent home. Nothing was announced in any meetings.


I made the decision that I wasn't going to allow Kati to be punished for something that wasn't ever made clear. We walked back to the nursery where I knew Ms. Lisa had some candy and I got a piece down for Kati, "Mommy knows that you are working really hard on your verses. I'm sorry that I didn't know you had to say that many in a month. Daddy and I are really proud of you. You are doing a great job."


Now I know some people would disagree with giving her a reward anyway. Rules are rules, blah blah, but if she is further along in her book than a lot of the kids, and will finish early, why shouldn't be rewarded just because this month she didn't meet a quota. It was unfair and as her mommy I had to fix it.


There is going to come a time when I see her head hanging again, tears spilling down her cheeks and I am going to be able to do nothing about it. Some boy is going to break her heart without reason. She may study hard for a test and fail. Possibly get turned down from a dream job that she was qualified for. And on those days I am going to hug her but it isn't going to be enough. My comforting words will count but not mend her heart. I won't always be able to take away her pain but on this night I could. Something unfair and hurtful happened in her world and she is still at the age where I could swoop in and save the day, so I did. At this point in her small world I was able to right the wrong. These days won't last long so I am going to take advantage of every chance I get.






Oh, Thanks for the candy Lisa, I knew you wouldn't mind.

1 comment: