Saturday, January 3, 2009

Part one of the drive thru zoo

Jeff actually got some time off and we couldn't have been happier. He didn't tell me until the day before so I was extract surprised. He surprised us again and made plans for us to go to the drive thru zoo. It was a blessing from God that the day Jeff picked also happened to at a reduced price. I love how God works things like that out.
Heights make me weak in the knees, well truthfully they make me sick to my stomach, but for Jeff it is just a thrill. So we stopped right here will Jeff peered from the window and played with my extra lens. And look what he found...Way down there was our chance to see giraffes right next to us. I couldn't wait to get down there.
I told the boys to put the peddle to the medal and after a while my eyes were graced with this beauty.
I had already told the kids how excited I was. I said that even if I was afraid I was going to force myself to feed them anyhow.
Imagine my delight we they had no hesitancy and came right up to Jeff.
And then his friend came and welcomed himself right into our car through the sun roof.They were so close I had to scoot down to the floor board to try and get a picture of their massive heads.Once they started filling up the car Kati ducked down and Timothy started hollering "seat!seat!". Those are his tiny feet, he moved all the way to the back as well.I never got that chance to take pictures from further down. As soon as I got lower she just came to me. I have never had so much fun being near an animal. The dolphins are definitely a close second. But being right there, being able to touch and smell the giraffes. I could feel their rough tongues on the palm of my hand and see the underside of their lips while they ate. It was wonderful to be that close to one of God's creatures and experience them that way. It made me sit in wonder at all he had done with this beautiful majestic animal.
Bear was even brave enough to feed them.After a while they backed off a little and by that time Timbo had warmed up a little. You can see here he is peering out the sunroof looking for them.He didn't have to wait long for them to come back.
We stood up for a picture but quickly got back in when he nipped my arm. He was just so gorgeous I couldn't resist trying to pet him, but I guess I should have asked permission first.

1 comment:

  1. Where is this zoo? My daughter would die to have a giraffe at her window! She loves them!!

    ReplyDelete