Thursday, July 31, 2008

Is Mike Home Part 3

The people of Sweetwater had always been very friendly. It was also the kind of town where you couldn't sneeze without the local drugstore calling to ask if you need a box of Kleenex. We stopped at some mom and pop gas station/diner to ask for directions. I walked inside and found two men in their mid to late sixties talking about the weather (no joke). I directed my question to the man on the left wearing a green John Deere hat. He had never heard of Kirkland Street but asked the waitress pouring coffee. The waitress and John Deere's friend argued for a while but finally came up with a route to get us to our destination. Jeffrey and I climbed back in the car and headed towards Service Road 472. We traveled up and down the road but never found the turn off they told us to take. I stopped at a Diary Queen to call my mom and let her know I was okay. While we were there the idea came to me that we should ask a police officer for directions. A very kind man in a large red truck, accompanied with his son, led us to the police station. I walked up to the white building, that looked more like strip shopping than a safe haven, and knocked on the door. After waiting a while I knocked again...and again. Listening carefully for noises inside we heard country music playing around back. We walked around the side of the building to find the door open and no one in the office. After calling hello a man emerged and asked if we needed help. I explained the situation to Officer Jackal who kindly offered help. He pulled out his detailed map of the city and began to draw his own map. We thanked him and headed back for the car. I was full of a mix of emotions. I was so close to knowing the truth now.

As Jeffrey drove I rehearsed all the things I might say if I found him. Would I tell him how angry I was for all the pain he had caused me and my family? Would I throw my arms around his neck and be thankful he was still alive? Did he even want to be found?

I wasn't sure.

1 comment: