Friday, December 7, 2007

Flashback Friday

Kati planted this lovely plant in cubbies when they were talking about creation. Actually she planted two seeds to grow this plant which is a lot more than I can say for my own growing abilities.As I walked by Kati's plant the other day I thought about my grandma and what a "green thumb" she had and hoped Kati would be as well.

My grandma would pick up broken off pieces of plant she would find on the Wal-mart floor and be able to get it to grow later. Her yard was full of all kinds of plants and I believe I am correct in say she won an award for her yard, maybe even twice.
This is me and my Grandma, probably pretty close to the time she was gathered up to be with our Lord.
This is a picture taken from my Grandma's back gate. It may not look like much for this picture but I can promise you it was lovely. Just the sight of this picture brings back warm fuzzes for me.

Can you see the white lattice in the back of the picture on the right? That was my Grandma's bird room. When I say bird room I don't mean she had a bird or two, she had many. Probably my favorite was her African Gray, his name escapes me now but he was a great bird. I can remember being a small child and Grandma taking me to look at all the birds. She would let me hold some of the eggs the birds had laid even after I had already broken some.

She not only had a love for birds, she had one for fish as well. She had more than one aquarium but what I remember the most was the aquarium she had exclusively for pregnant fish. If you have ever had guppies then you know someone is always pregnant, she must have been fishin' em out constantly.

Grandma's house was full of things. She use to go to the goodwill store and buy broken toys to fix and return.

She use to say "Dontcha see?" when she was teaching me about something.

After Grandma was gathered up you wouldn't believe all the things we found. It was the first time I saw different colored knee high pantie hose, orange y'all. There were over a hundred rolls of toilet paper. I can still remember hearing some yell "Oh, no" when they lifted up a dust ruffle only to find more unpainted ceramics. And my favorite find, there was a drawer full of broken crayons but inside of it all was a broken ring and I fell in love with it right then and there. My momma took that ring, had it fixed and gave it to me for Christmas. Thanks Mom.

I would like to think she is looking down on me from heaven but I just don't know. I wish she could have met my kids, I know she would have loved them. I can see her being patient with Brendon's energy, sharing her love of living things with Kati, and snuggling Timothy until he smelt just like the Channel lotion she had on. Most of all I wish Jeff could have met her.

I miss you Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment