Thursday, August 9, 2007

My favorite part of birthday preparations

We are celebrating Kati's birthday early this year so Kayla and Kyle can be here for it. So that means I can begin my favorite part of birthday preparations; the cake. Kati wants a Barbie birthday so I am attempting a Barbie cake. I can tend to be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to the cakes so it was really important to me that the dress of the cake looks smooth like a real dress so my new mission was to learn to make fondant. (On a funny side note Jeff thinks that too weird of a word so for him I have to call it "that icing stuff") If you know something about cakes you are probably thinking "why would she put fondant on a kids cake it tastes nasty?" well I found a yummy recipe using marshmallows. Today I was practicing with the cake when the kids came into the kitchen wanting to know what I was doing. Of course they then asked to taste the fondant.........and loved it! It was too cute, they would be playing in the back of the house and all of the sudden you could hear them running down the hall (I just love pier and beam homes) into the kitchen. I just love to hear Bear ask for more fondant and Kati was cute too she kept asking for "more fon-donna". I finally had to cut them off and tell them they couldn't eat anymore. Don't ya just love the hat, he almost always has one on.
Here is the practice cake.......no laughing.


1 comment:

  1. Who would laugh at that cake? It looks really really good!

    ReplyDelete