Saturday, August 2, 2008

Is Mike Home? Part 5 (the conclusion)

As soon as Jeffrey got back in the car I told him we had to go there. When I opened the double brown doors smells washed over me that I hadn't smelled since I was a child- hard liquor and beer. My eyes again began to fill with tears when I saw that old jukebox that played for me countless weekends. The pool tables had been moved and the name had changed but it was still the same old place. There was no mistaking that. I walked up to the bar and saw what looked to be a familiar face but addressed the barmaid instead. I showed her the picture of my father and stepmother that I had brought with me. She was very rude and informed me that many people came into that bar and she could not be sure. The familiar man on the bar stool asked to see the picture. He immediately bristled and asked why I wanted to know. I barely choke out, "He's my father.". He called me by my name and told me he remembered playing games with me as a child. He was my father's friend Malcolm. I told him I hadn't seen him in years and wanted to find him. Malcolm told me he hadn't seen him in months but he would give me directions to the last place he knew they lived. He also gave me directions to another bar that my father frequently patroned. We went to the other bar first expecting him to be there. We opened the doors to friendly drunken people singing. I asked if Stephen and Debi had been there tonight and they told me no. I called my mother to tell her I was almost there and asked her to pray for me. Jeffrey and I headed up 472, turned right and passed Calvary Baptist church. We made a left and passed a cheap motel and turned left again to a residential street. It was the quickest and longest drive I had ever been on. When we pulled into the dirt driveway Jeffrey grabbed my hand and began to pray for me.

Jeffrey held my hand as I knocked on their door. Debi answered the door and looked at me in disbelief, "Stacy?". I shook my head yes. She put her hand over her mouth and repeated over and over again, "Oh my god, Oh my god". She hugged me so tightly. My father came from what appeared to be the kitchen and said, "What is it baby?". "It's Stacy. Don't you recognize your own daughter?"


He didn't

No comments:

Post a Comment