Monday, October 29, 2012

Yup, she's mine

Last week Kati got in the van from school overly excited.
 "Momma, guess what all the 3rd graders got at school today!" 

"What's that Bug?"

"Everybody got their own dictionary and we get to keep them!"

"For like ever or you have to give it back at the end of the year?"

"Forever!"
When of my favorite Christmas presents of all time what a book set my mother got me.  It had a dictionary, a thesaurus, and a spelling book.  I still have them today, nearly two decades later.

Another way I see that she is mine;
Recently I walked past Kati's room after she was sent to bed and saw her reading a book on a school night.  That's nothing new but I had her put the book away because she is a cranky pants in the morning and I think it is from her late night reading.  The next night I passed her room after bed time and peeked in at her.  Sound asleep, or so she appeared.  It usually takes Bug awhile to fall asleep so I decided to call her out on it, "Where's the book Bug?"  I saw a mischievous grin spread across her face as she raised up on her elbow and pulled a book out from under the covers.


She is defintly Jeff's too. 
"Momma, guess what.  At school today Ms. so-and-so gave us a tricky math problem and only three people got the answer right and I was one of them!"

I am not at all surprised.  I hear things similar to this very often. "What was it?"

"We had to figure out three, three.  I can't remember the word but it starts with a c.  Three something numbers-"

"Consecutive?"

"Yeah, that's it.  Three consecutive numbers that add up to 90.  Me and two other people were the only ones who got it right.  Then Ms. so-and-so had us go around and help other people!"

Me-deep in thought, eyebrows knit together, crickets quietly chirping.......

Yup, she is Jeff's too.  I knew enough to start by dividing by 3 and past that my brain would go no further.  I worried when she got into the gifted class I wouldn't be of any help and it looks like I was right.  At least she has her dad to help her when she gets stumped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment