Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ponderings

I often wonder what goes through his mind. He can be very introverted which may seem unbelievable to you if you know him since he is always on the go. Bear isn't one to share his thoughts or feelings. And most of the time when he does share something I think of him as "random man" because it usually has nothing to do with what the rest of us are talking about. And when we go to the ranch he almost always goes off by himself for a while to just be alone (he gets that from me).

Bear is our early riser, always has been. Yesterday morning he crawled into bed with me and snuggled up close while I read. Out of the corner of my eye I watch him fiddle his fingers together in the air and he asks me, "Momma, what's a step-mom and a step-father?". We laid there and talked about that for a while, not really a fun, bright cheery morning talk but he asked. Then his mind wondered to our extended family. He wondered aloud how Jeffrey and I had the same dad since Jeff's dad didn't help grow me or marry my mom (pretty deep ponderings for a new five year old). After explaining how all of that works he wanted to know why my "first dad didn't want" me "anymore".

Although it wasn't a light-hearted talk to start our day it was nice to be able to explain some deep things to him. His mind fascinated me of logical he saw it all and it opened the door to explain some grown up things to him. To explain that it wasn't that my father didn't want me anymore. To explain how Dan became my dad before Jeffrey and I married. To explain how our family works. How we don't see each other as in laws but just family.

He has a big heart and is a sensitive little man. He reminds me of Jeffrey and Dan in more than one way. It's one of the many reasons I love my Bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment