Tuesday, January 26, 2010

As I lay in bed praying and contemplating what I will do this summer to support my family I hear the rustle of a diaper. Expecting to hear the same "I want to be wiss you" that I heard 5 minutes ago I am not pleased. It's something different. He needs to potty. I sit on the cold tile that Jeffrey put in almost a year ago and share a victory with my little guy at 5 in the morning. Knowing that he wont be sleeping again I wager with myself that it's better to put him in bed with me then to have him wake Bear so early. We snuggle down under my thick comforter.

I go back to praying but can't resist the urge to peek at his sweet face. I open my eyes to see another set of eyes, beautiful milk chocolate brown, just inches from mine. His round cheek turn upward as he sees me looking at him. "Kissy-kissy", I hear. He clumsily comes to kiss my forehead, right where I needed a kiss. His cool lips mash against my warm forehead and an arm is thrown around me as my face is smashed into his chest. I am certain I must have an imprint of the penguin skiing from his pajamas tattooed to my face. This time I hear "huggy- huggy". He settles back down with Daddy Bubba tucked under one arm while the other is upraised with a thumb firmly tucked in his mouth. I close my eyes. Even though I would rather stare at him for the next hour and a half I know he wont sleep if I am looking at him.

I return to my thoughts of summer when his sleepy baby breathe begins to blow my hair from my forehead. I try not to smile. He begins to quietly sing the 'abc's'. A soft delicate, un-worked, baby hand strokes my cheek, cool against my face. Refreshing. I can feel his love for me, almost hearing the words he likes to say to me, "You da best momma in da whole world." I lay there thanking my Lord for this precious gift and my two other gifts just down the hall..........

No comments:

Post a Comment