Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Our miracle girl

On the morning of June 22, 2003, I went into early labor. We were only 27 weeks and 3 days along. My sack was torn and I was having contractions. Although the doctor gave me medication to try and slow things down I was told I would have a baby in a few days, if not that day. To help Kati’s under-developed lungs I was also given a steroid shot. The nurses at the hospital began mentally preparing me for a premature baby that I wouldn’t even be able to hold after delivery. We began our wait with me on strict bed rest at the hospital. My contractions stopped, however I was kept at the hospital because I was leaking amniotic fluid. Days turned into two and a half weeks. I was tested again. By the grace of God, Kati’s sac was healed. My doctor called it a miracle; in his 22 years of practice he had never seen this happen.
There was no reason determined for the cause of my early labor. In 2003, 1 in 7 babies (13.9% of live births) was born preterm in Texas. Had Kati been born at 27 weeks 3 days her thigh would have fit into Jeffrey’s wedding ring. Because of this very scary time the March of Dimes has become very dear to our family.



Our healthy little girl nearly three years later.


Thank you to everyone who prayed for our family in our time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment