Monday, July 4, 2011

Oh What A Night

Although there was a chill in the air the sun shined down on him as he scouted his route. As I watched him begin to turn away he was struck by a bullet and started his fall of six hundred feet. Down he went, end over end. Over and over. Just as Tell Sackett splashed into the river I heard, "Fireworks."

'Fireworks'? There are no fireworks in the Mollogons and what is Jeff doing here? I am roused from my book and peek outside our window.

Nothing.

Just as I am about to turn away slightly through the tree I can see a glittery green sparkle.....and then another....and another.

"Jeffrey look! I'm gonna get Bug?" It was more a question than a statement and he nodded his yes. I half ran half skipped to her room.

"Kati Bug? You wanna see some fireworks?"
Nothing.
I shake her, "Buggy?"
Still nothing. Now the kid in me is thinking about all the shinny glittery explosions that I am missing and I jump up and down "Kati Bug hurry there are fireworks!"
And still nothing. I give up on her and run for the bedroom.

Sliding open the window I am met by the Arizona dry heat even though it is past nine at night. I throw my legs over the window ledge and jump onto the roof. I have to scoot far too close to the edge but I can't help myself. Earlier in the night I was lamenting the fireworks I was sure we wouldn't be seeing this year. Wishing we could hop on a plane returning to Texas for just one night to our usual spot. I can barely make them out past the tree but they are there. In the back ground I can hear Jeffrey wrapping up his phone call and I feel all giddy inside thinking of him joining me on the porch roof. It took me back to another night so very far away.........

I wait but he doesn't come and then I realize he is trying to wake the kids again. My thoughts are drawn back to the show by another boom.

I hear a muffled rustling of carpet and turn to see sleepy eyes and a mess of hair. There is another pop and her tired face comes alive with her search of the sound.

The five of us make it out on the roof top. Below I watch Princess Buttercup run around in her confusion of new smells and sounds. Neighbors are walking in the street to catch a glimpse. It's so hard to see because of the trees that we decide to run out to the front.

The five of us are standing out in the middle of the street watching fireworks off in the distance. I can feel the warm ground seeping in through my socks to my feet and hear the hushed talking of another family behind us. I am reminded again of how much I love where we live.

Bear asks if we can walk to the park. Jeffrey looks at me with that dad look that says 'why shouldn't we' and shrugs his shoulders. Bear and I holding hands brought up the rear of our family line. I look ahead of me and watch Kati walking beside her strong Daddy and Bo getting a shoulder ride.

Once we get to the park there is racing, pushing, shoving and laughter. The kids and I settle down on the grass to watch some more fireworks (and lightening) and behind me I hear a husky voice, "Thanks for this life." "Thank you for coming home.", I say. Those are our words. The ones we use to reassure each other of our love. To signify our happiness in whatever moment we are in.

Our night continues with the rest of the firework display. Followed by rides in the swing. Sandcastles being built. Scaring a sweet little girl. Hiding of flip flops. Cuddles on a bench. Races down slides. Games of tic-tac-toe. A sleepy boy trying to catch some zzz's in the warm sand. And most of all......memories to last a lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment