Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Nothing is safe

I have been on a cleaning out spree. I feel the need to purge my home of things. I hate clutter. I am so much happier in a room with minimal things. That's a hard home to have when you are as sentimental as I am. I save all kinds of things for the memories. I still have a gum wrapper that Jeffrey wrote a note to me on from when we were kids. And I love it. I probably have every letter we ever wrote to each other. Even the silly little notes we would leave on each others cars. I have ticket stubs from when our little brother was sworn in to the army. Leafs that the kids have give me, and rocks. All kinds of things. I love my little things. They make me smile. But clutter drives me nuts. These two worlds don't go well together.

I get silly over the kids toys too. If they had a stint of loving one toy for more than three days then it's so hard for me to let it go. Even if they didn't ever even look at a toy but I know that it was special to whoever bought it for them (I guess that ones just guilt) I have to force myself to let it go.

But lately nothing is safe. Just look at how nice the boys room looks. That makes me happy. There are so many less toys to step over at night. I may have added five years to my life. Things all over the house are getting thrown into boxes or put in trash bags. I am thoroughly enjoying every minute of it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way. I'm great to have around when someone else needs to clean. I'm especially great at helping my daughters give away their no-longer used toys.

    But my stuff? Every single note I saved from childhood? My journals? My books? My memories?

    Insert my very first use of, "This is my house. If I want to keep my things in my house, I will."

    ReplyDelete